A 408-bed community hospital with high emergency department (ED) walk-out rates and a series of failed rapid improvement events (RIEs) asked Philips Blue Jay Consulting to provide interim leadership in the ED and help achieve sustainable change.
Philips provided a consultant to serve as interim director and work with leadership to develop and implement process improvement initiatives. An organized approach for process change to achieve sustainable results* was created and the interim leader modeled consistent, clear, and effective communication skills.
The staff and leadership embraced the changes and the implemented process changes achieved substantial results.
- Arrival to room rate: 37% improvement
- Arrival to provider rate: 44% improvement
- Left Without Being Seen (LWBS) rate decreased 41% which generated additional revenue of over $1.2 million annually
- Patient satisfaction rates increased 334% to the 100th percentile for the nurse who first assessed patient condition
- The likelihood of recommending the ED increased 109% to the 88th percentile