Enjoy the intense flavors of this traditional French stew.
份量 6 persons, 準備時間: 20 minutes, 料理時間 120 minutes
- 3 strips bacon, cut in to 1cm pieces
- 600 gram of beef, cut into 3cm cubes
- Sea salt, to taste
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 100 millilitre of cognac
- 300 millilitre red wine (Burgundy)
- 300 millilitre of beef stock
- 2 tablespoons of beef demi-glace
- 1 tablespoon of tomato paste
- 4-6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 50 grams of butter
- 250 grams of white button mushrooms, quartered
- 200 grams of pearl onions
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter, add mushrooms and sauté until browned, about 5 minutes at 175°C.
- Add the pearl onions and cook, stirring until lightly browned, for 3 minutes at 175°C.
- Add ½ cups water, cover and cook at 175°C for 3 minutes until onions are softened.
- Transfer the mushrooms and onions to bowl and set aside.
- Sauté the bacon for 3 minutes at 175°C until browned, but not crisp.
- Transfer to paper towels.
- Pat the beef cubes dry and season with salt and pepper.
- Add the beef and brown on all sides for 8 minutes at 175°C.
- Transfer meat to bowl and set aside.
- Add chopped onions and carrots to the pan and sauté for 5 minutes at 175°C until the onions are lightly browned.
- Reduce heat to 130°C, sprinkle the flour on top and cook for 2 minutes using the stirrer. Once the flour is incorporated, return the bacon and meat along with any juices to the pan.
- Add the cognac, wine, stock, demi-glace, tomato paste, garlic, bay leaf and salt/pepper to taste. Bring to simmer for 90 minutes at 110°C until meat is fork-tender and the stew is the consistency of thick cream. Discard bay leaf if desired.
- When ready to serve, stir the mushrooms, pearl onions and a tablespoon of parsley into the stew. Season to taste, transfer to large bowl and garnish with remaining parsley. Serve immediately.
- 秘訣: Fingerling potatoes make a great side dish.